-- I've been trying to update New Dogs on Fanfiction.net, but the struggle is real. My Microsoft Office license expired around a month or so ago, but since I've switched to using Google Docs to write my stuff it doesn't really matter. Plus Google Docs is actually free. Back when I did have Microsoft Office, it was just simply a matter of changing the .docx file into a .doc document under the "save as" field and then uploading it to the site, but the system's so finicky that updating multichapter fics there is a chore now. I keep getting error messages even though I've tried uploading new chapters as a rich text file or copy and pasting it. C&P did work, but then when I moved on to the next step, the new document wasn't there. But I was able to post Hell Is Paved With Good Intentions just fine.
I still have lots of praise for FF.net and think it's a viable source for reading and posting fanfic, but they make it hard because the site has gotten so janky at this point. I mean, on my end the sixth chapter of New Dogs doesn't even come up. I just get an error message. I saw a lot of people saying to just keep hitting enter until FF.net finally accepts your story, but I can't continuously do that because of issues with my hands.
-- So now that Hell Is Paved is done, the next one-shot will be much lighter in tone. I honestly don't know when I'm gonna get around to writing up the notes for Hell Is Paved. I know I do have a lot to say on the topic of xenofiction and how the subject of predator/prey dynamics has been handled in a number of animal-centric worlds.
-- Currently working on The Stranger and A Horse Of A Different Color.
-- This is kinda off topic, but the one bad thing about choosing not to engage in fan communities means you have no way of knowing if somebody out there might've saved some fan art or a fanfic that you really love but got taken down, because you have no clue who's safe to approach and who isn't. At this point, any cool fic or art I see gets saved to a flash drive/cloud/etc.
Yeah, I've been having a hard time trying to upload new chapters and so on on FF.Net as well. Sometimes I'm successful - which is rare because of the site's finickiness - and other times, not so. But I did a little research and discovered a trick that actually works in getting the chapters uploaded, thus outsmarting the bugs.
ReplyDeleteHere's how it works: go to 'Manage Stories' for one of your stories or one-shots, click on 'Content/Chapters', and click on 'Export'. It'll create a copy of that document. It should be named 'Export: Insert Title Here', and when you find it, you can edit it as much to your heart's desire. Just don't delete the document or you won't get it back, and you can export documents only once per one-shot or chapter. Once you're done editing, then you can select the document when you want to post a new chapter or one-shot and it'll go through, no problem. At least it's been working for me this way. I hope this helps!
Also, that's been happening to me with the latest chapters for my stuff as well - that's completely new. FF.Net, you're great, but please fix your issues, or you'll lose your site and your writers/readers/supporters.
I'll write a review proper for it in due time, but I want to say your latest crossover one-shot is excellent! :)
It worked! Thank you so much for showing me this workaround, though it's wild that we have to do to this to be able to update stuff. The whole fic shows up fine in preview mode when I'm in the 'Manage Stories' panel, which is... yeah. :-( I think the readership for certain fandoms there has already taken a hit, like RR (though I was and still am only posting for a couple of anonymous readers there).
DeleteAww, , glad you like the story! No rush on getting out a review. :-)
I'm so happy to hear it worked! But yeah, it's crazy that we need to do this to get around the bug. Wish it didn't have to be the case, though. True, true; readership for some fandoms is low, which is a bummer. I just hope the site doesn't get any more buggy or swamped with bogus scammer messages or they'll get even lower. Anyhow, for sure! It's a good story that had me on my toes. :D
Delete