It's always fun imagining who could voice the characters in your works. :-D I should note certain voice actors are different from the ones Evil Writer selected for his Quick Strike-verse, and that this is just how these characters would sound per my setting. I ended up hitting upon the idea of having different VAs for STARS, especially since some of the characters have gotten touched up for my AU.
Hoping to be able to do one of these for almost every story I have featuring OCs, or fics where a character doesn't have a voice actor for whatever reasons.
I'll update this list every time I post a story with new characters.
Lord Death: Oded Fehr
Roles: Ardeth Bay (the 1999 The Mummy), Ras Al Ghul (Young Justice).
I think he's done more voicework at this point than live action roles? My selecting him was a nod to the character's Middle Eastern roots in the QS series. I feel he could successfully portray a sinister, domineering, cold sorcerer.
Lady Dread: Bebe Neuwirth
Roles: Lilith (Frasier, Cheers, Wings), Mirage (Aladdin), Belladonna (All Dogs Go To Heaven: The Series).
Randomly remembering Mirage one day was what nailed Neuwirth as Dread's VA. Dread isn't as over the top the way Mirage is all the time, but I think Neuwirth could easily dial it back some as needed. She sounds playfully sinister and elegant, all the while relishing the idea of mowing down the good guys or any innocent people who get in her way for for kicks (yes, she will be a reoccurring villain).
Zaygos: Robert Englund
Roles: Scarecrow (Injustice 2), Freddy Krueger (og A Nightmare On Elm Street series).
If you're a horror fan, then you already know who this guy is. One October I was watching the (really fascinating) documentary Never Sleep Again, which is about the Elm Street movies. I thought "Y'know, t'd be a nice little nod and a wink if the OC bad guys in STARS had VAs who were known for being horror villains." The perfect Zaygos voice would be a mixture of Anti-Pops from Regular Show and the Khan in The Master of Orion.
The jury's still out on Kaymat, Vile, and Lustfox, though I have a couple of potential choices for Lustfox.
Tyron: Liam Neeson
Roles: Oskar Schindler (Schindler's List), Qui-Gon Jin (the Star Wars prequels).
What else can you say about Liam Neeson? He was a shoe-in for Tyron all way back in the day thanks to the movie Rob Roy. The man's voice just exudes regal gravitas.
Aurora: Drew Barrymore
Roles: Danielle (Ever After), Josie Geller (Never Been Kissed).
Another voice actor carried over from the QS-verse verse. Sweet, but not a pushover, with down to earth, and -- call me stereotypical for saying this -- girl next door energy.
Cyan: Rob Paulsen
Roles: Holy crap, just go and watch a cartoon, especially one from the late 80s-'90s.
I've already discussed this dude here before and why I like him so much. I think he's talented and versatile enough to devise a voice that could fit Cyan in this "What if my fanfics were an actual animated series" scenario.
Streetwise: Daveed Diggs
Roles: Marquis de Lafayette (Hamilton), Andre Layton (Snowpiercer).
Diggs ultimately won out because his portrayal of Lafayette has such a cheeky, energetic vibe I thought fit Streetwise perfectly. He also succeeds in not sounding like an American putting on a corny French accent.
Dama: She's been more of a tricky character to cast, but a friend of mine ultimately landed upon these four actresses. Either Laura Fraser, Karen Gillan, Sharon Rooney, or Amy Manson
Laura Fraser
Roles: Kate (A Knight's Tale), Lydia Rodarte-Quayle (Breaking Bad and Better Call Saul).
Karen Gillan
Roles: Amy Pond (Doctor Who), Kaylie Russell (Oculus).
Roles: Rae Earl (My Mad Fat Diary) Lawyer Barbie (Barbie).
Amy Manson
Roles: Merida (Once Upon A Time), Maladie (The Nevers).
Looking over the profile EW wrote for Dama as well as reading the fics she's appeared in, I landed on her characterization here as someone who's inwardly torn about her heritage at times, but also fearless and ready to face down trouble with a can-do attitude and cleverness. So a voice actress would have to successfully embody those qualities. The only one I'm actually familiar with is Frazier and Gillan.
I don't have anyone for either Eric or Blades yet. For the latter, I'd prefer a authentic Japanese actress. I've had a couple of ideas for Eric, but am still in the process of sussing them out. Originally Tom Hanks was going to be Powerplay, but now I'm considering a younger voice actor who's a native Canadian. I have no shortages of choices there to choose from.
Oh, FYI, Professor Hubert's og voice actor, David Doyle, passed all the way back in 1997, so EW brought up the idea of recasting Hubie in the QS-verse. My own personal choice for STARS? Jeffrey Combs.
The context behind that scene is super unhinged (an understatement), but that's still like the standout line for me in that movie.
No comments:
Post a Comment
Got something to say? Cool. Just keep in mind:
1) I have no problems whatsoever with somebody commenting to either disagree with or debate something I've said, but PLEASE try to be civil while doing so. You can disagree with someone without being disagreeable. Verbal abuse will not be tolerated. I will also not tolerate people who try to debate something but won't back it up with facts or evidence.
Also, debate does not mean "change this story detail, I don't like it. :)"
2) No spam or self-promotion.